Thursday, July 12, 2012

My version of a Frank O'Hara poem, "Inside Out"


In this blog I’ve attempted to write my own version of a Frank O’Hara poem.  The poem is based on my own reading of Frank O’Hara’s, Lunch Poems and an in-class discussion.  I’ve attempted to focus on the “rules” that were discussed: Be descriptive, use exaggerated images, style, an arrogant tone, free verse, to be disgusting and disturbing, a focus on the body, with references to pop culture and art.  My poem is entitled “Inside Out.”
Inside Out
MAN’S SEARCH FOR MEANING is missing
“I don’t understand this” hits me with hot Cafe Bustelo breath,
a tepid tuna-fish chaser follows as he hastily holds Anne Frank in my face
“Ironic you idiot”
(Races through my mind 3x)
A singular “THANKS” burns as It escapes my pursed lips
I’m back inside by the time I reach the school’s exit
(Bloated like LaGuardia’s painted portrait)
The sun’s now warming my paunch, passing through the cotton-poly blend like oily 
paper
I implore my liver to apply the piercing rays like a heating pad on a pulled muscle
The lack of response causes me to curse
Svedka, Saki, Sapporo Light, Steven Spielberg
                           (and Captain HOOK)
bang-a-rang!  Purple painted pants on that hip-hop hipster
Takes me back to The Charleston, Plymouth gin, personal pan pizzas,
the Knicks
Vs.
the Celtics
And the falafel farts wafting in from around the corner
My kidneys burn as I hurry past Court Square wine
                                                                              (& LIQUOR)
Wilde and Bertrand Russell follow behind me like shadows
While in front, just beyond the beggar with his ‘bitty bottles
Chester Himes and d’Holbach wait on the corner of Eleventh
The fruity little Frenchman refusing to look at his black face
                                                                           (Determined)
I give the beggar a dollar 
My mind goes to the price of Purell 
                             (travel-size)
89¢, and the awareness of my stomach surfaces 
BURP
FART
                                                                                            (relief)
Pandora picks Louie CK as the smell of poor man’s pine-sol fills my nose and throat
The septic smell takes me to a bodega in Sunset Park as fearful sounds fly from
a Puerto Rican with a bull-whip WILD from his want of rum, and men, and women
CRACK!
CRACK!
CRACK!
I cross the street in my memory
(worried)
Now I enter my apartment
I’ll pour a warm Grolsch
I’ll read something by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Sleep with my hat on
(insides will settle away)
2012

1 comment:

  1. Your poem hits a lot of the right beats in terms of language. Those descriptions are entertaining while also being poetically obscure. I also like that I didn’t know where you were at some points, since I thought the poem bred too familiar at the mention of LaGuardia. Otherwise, the literary references were good without being pretentious.
    I would suggest maybe loosening up on the name brands and go for smaller areas, more personal touches that mirror your actual encounters in this city. The parentheses I suspect serve a purpose, but do they? Consider why you do it beyond aesthetic quotients, and you’ll have artistic emotions.
    I won’t question why the assignment means to combine O’Hara’s poem and bodily humor, but it did distract me from the poem. Maybe I’m just not used to farts in art without them being a part of a larger joke, a more sly comment on their own inherent low-brow impact, but I would find a more poetic way to make poots in poetry.
    You’ve got something genuinely twisted, but maybe you can turn it into a truly disturbing dalliance on the wild side of old New York.

    ReplyDelete